Open University

Explore a course before committing to an entire program, update your professional skills with additional training, or raise your G.P.A. prior to applying to a program. Whichever your goal, Open University enables you to take classes and experience Cal State East Bay excellence without formal admission.


Open University Makes Knowledge Possible

By enrolling through Open University, you’ll be able to take Cal State East Bay undergraduate and graduate classes, on a space-available basis, without the formal University admissions process. Registration is easy and course fees are the same, whether you are a California resident or out-of-state or international visitor.

Open University allows you to:

  • Examine a field of study before committing to a degree program
  • Update job skills or obtain professional training
  • Attend classes on a non-continuous basis
  • Raise your grade point average prior to application
  • Enroll in classes if you've missed the CSUEB University application deadline

Who Can Take Open University Courses?

  • Members of the general public
  • Former CSUEB students and alumni
  • Non-resident students not enrolled in a University program
  • Disqualified students from CSUEB or other institutions

How will Open University benefit you?

Registration for Open University is easy!

Transcripts and formal application are not necessary, and you can register for a course after attending the first class session.

Transfer units to the degree program of your choice.

You can transfer a maximum of 24 Open University semester units to an undergraduate degree program or 9 semester units towards a graduate degree program, subject to approval by the academic department that runs the program.

Gain valuable library access.

As an Open University student you are entitled to use the University library and access electronic resources remotely. A valid CSUEB student ID is required to check out materials. To register for library privileges, simply fill out a registration card at the library. For more information, visit the Library's website.

Please note if you are a regularly enrolled (matriculated) student or are currently an applicant for admission as an undergraduate or graduate student in the current term, you are NOT permitted to take courses through Open University.

Important Dates

Dates & Deadlines * Spring 2024 Summer 2024 Fall 2024
Term Begins Jan 16, 2024 May 29, 2024 Aug 19, 2024
Application Period Opens Sep 26, 2023 Feb 19, 2024 July 10, 2024
Application Due Jan 26, 2024 May 31, 2024 Aug 27, 2024
Enrollment Period Jan 16-29, 2024 May 29-June 4, 2024 Aug 19-30, 2024
Course Add Deadline Jan 29, 2024 June 4, 2024 Aug 30, 2024
Course Drop Deadline Jan 29, 2024 June 4, 2024 Aug 30, 2024
Fee Payment Deadline Jan 29, 2024 June 4, 2024 Aug 30, 2024

* Dates are subject to change

Common Questions

How much do Open University courses cost?

Open University courses are charged on a per-unit basis. The fee structure can be found below:


$392 / unit


$448 / unit

If lab is included:

Additional $56 maximum lab fee

When is payment due for Open University students?

For tuition fee payment deadlines, please see Important Dates. Fees may be paid to the University Cashier's Office, first floor of the Student Administration Building, Monday through Thursday 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. and Friday 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Fees are payable by cash, check, or money order (no credit card payments are accepted in the Cashier's Office). Only checks and money orders can be accepted after 5:00 p.m. in the Cashier's drop box. Credit card payments can be made online using MyCSUEB with a NetId.

Whom should I contact for questions on registration?

For registration questions, please contact the Office of the Registrar at (510) 885-2784 or

Do I need to submit an application for Open University every semester that I wish to take courses at Cal State East Bay?

Yes, for each semester that you wish to take courses through Open University, you must submit an application. If you have already taken courses through Open University, you may sign into your MyCSUEB account and select “Open University” in the drop-down menu under the “Academics” tab in your Student Center to apply. 

When are the enrollment deadlines for Open University?

The application deadline for Open University is the eighth instructional day of the term. Make sure to log in and submit your application online before this date as late applications will not be accepted. You will enroll online through MyCSUEB beginning on the first day of the term and ending the last day of the Add Period.

Can I register for a seven-week session class through Open University?

Yes, but certain seven-week session classes may have earlier add, drop and withdrawal deadlines and students must confirm those deadlines online.

Do I need a permission code to enroll in courses through Open University?

Prior to the Late Add Period, permission numbers are not required. Open University students can begin enrolling without permission numbers on the first day of classes. However, during the Late Add Period (beginning the sixth instructional day of the semester or the third instructional day of the summer session), you must obtain permission numbers from the academic department offering the course.

If my instructor provides a permission code but the course is full, will I still be able to enroll in the class?

Permission numbers will NOT override class capacity or course requisites/prerequisites. Additionally, you should keep in mind that permission numbers are randomly generated, so the permission number that you are given does not affect your ability to enroll and/or the order in which you can enroll.

Can I be waitlisted if I am taking a course through Open University?

Yes, you may add your name to a waitlist but will need to contact the department offering the course about being enrolled from the waitlist. There is no guarantee of enrollment from the waitlist, and if you are on a waitlist, you are held responsible for the enrollment. You are advised to check your schedule online prior to the end of the Drop and Late Add Periods to ensure it is correct. Contact the department offering the class for questions or concerns about enrollment into a specific class.

Do I have a choice of taking a course as letter-graded or credit/no credit?

Yes, you may choose regular or credit/no credit grading when you enroll online.

If I have dropped out, been disqualified by the regular University or am otherwise ineligible for regular enrollment, can I take courses through Open University?
Yes. Open University courses are "open" to you even if you have been disqualified. The grades you earn in Open University may help raise your GPA. However, if you’ve failed to pay a debt owed to the University you may be refused enrollment.
Are all regular University courses open to me?
More than 1,000 Cal State East Bay courses are available to you, providing you have met the necessary course prerequisites listed in the University course catalog. In addition, some departments have restrictions on taking graduate-level courses. Check with the academic department to find out about restrictions for a particular course.
Is Independent Study available through Open University?
Please contact the academic department directly regarding interest in Independent Study.
Are courses offered at the Concord Center available through Open University?
Yes. The same calendar and policies for enrollment and withdrawal apply to courses offered at the Cal State East Bay Concord Center. Registration, information, and assistance are provided at Academic Services from 8:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m., Monday through Thursday by phone at (925) 602-6700.
If I later decide to enroll in a regular degree program, can Open University credit be applied toward that degree?
Yes. A maximum of 24 Open University semester units can be applied toward a bachelor's degree and a maximum of 9 semester units toward a master's degree. Both are subject to approval by the academic department concerned. Academic credit earned through any other continuing education/extension program also will be calculated into the maximums.
How do I receive a transcript of my Open University coursework?

Requests for official transcripts may be made in person, by mail, or online. All requests will require that you provide your NetID, date of birth, date(s) of CSUEB attendance, and where the transcript is to be sent. Visit the University’s Transcripts web page or call (510) 885-3814 for more information.

Can I attend Open University as an F-1 non-immigrant student with a F-1 visa?

To see if you’re eligible to receive an I-20 through Open University, contact Global Academy at (510) 885-2358 or

Can Cal State East Bay accommodate me if I have a disability?

Yes. The University’s Accessibility Services is set up to assist you. The office is located on the Hayward Hills Campus and can be reached at (510) 885-3868 (TTY accessible).

Do I have access to the library as an Open University student?

Yes. Open University students are entitled to use the University library and may access electronic resources remotely. A valid CSUEB student ID is required to check out materials. To register for library privileges, fill out a registration card at the library. For more information, visit the Library's website or call (510) 885-3612.

What is the withdrawal and refund policy?

You may drop courses online using MyCSUEB until the end of the University’s Drop Period. After the Drop Period ends, you must complete a Withdrawal Form with an authorized signature from the department responsible for the course(s) until the Withdrawal Deadline. Please refer to the University website for deadline information. Submit the completed form to the Enrollment Information Center on the first floor of the Student Administration Building at the Hayward Campus or the Academic Services Center at the Concord Center.

The schedule of refunds for intensive/accelerated courses is determined on a course-by-course basis. There are no refunds for student ID cards, material, or lab fees.

The date that the withdrawal request form is submitted to the University Records Office determines the amount of a refund. Please see chart below for to determine amount refunded.

15-week Refund Policy Refund Amount
On or before add drop 100% refund
On or before the 21st instructional day 65% refund
On or before 35th instructional day 40% refund

7-week Refund Policy Refund Amount
On or before add drop 100% refund
On or before the 10th instructional day 65% refund
On or before 20th instructional day 40% refund

Accessibility Services

Does the university provide accessibility services?
Yes, our Accessibility Services department provides academic accommodations and support services to address the individual needs of students with differing abilities, permanent disabilities or temporary disabling conditions. For more information, including program details and contact information, visit

Search Results

At Cal State East Bay, we pride ourselves on putting students first, from the moment you inquire until you graduate. We hope you've found answers to your questions in this support center, but if not, please get in touch.

Enrolling in Courses through Open University is Easy

Follow this three-step guide to enrolling in courses through Open University:

1. View Course Catalog

Visit MyCSUEB to search the University Course Catalog for your course(s) of interest during the academic term that you wish to attend classes.

If you cannot find your course(s) of interest, visit the University Directory to contact the department to which the course(s) belongs for more information.

2. Submit Open University Application

New Open University Students

Current/Returning Open University Students

  • Sign in to your MyCSUEB and select "Open University Program" under the "Academic Records" tile.

3. Enroll & Pay for Courses

Open University students may request consent to enroll in their course(s) of interest starting on the first day of the term (enrollment is at the discretion of the instructor and is based on space-availability). Once you obtain the instructor’s consent, you will need to obtain a permission code from the department. After receiving a permission code, you may sign in to MyCSUEB with your NetID and password to enroll and pay for your coursework online.

For Online courses, please e-mail the instructor as soon as possible to make them aware of your Open University status.

Payment is due upon enrollment.

Students who enroll in courses through Open University are charged on a per-unit basis. The fee structure can be found below:


$392 / unit


$448 / unit

If lab is included:

Additional $56 maximum lab fee

A note about registering:

If you are having difficulty registering for Open University, you may already be logged in to your MyCSUEB account. Log out of MyCSUEB and close the MyCSUEB page. Doing this will allow you to access the application but it will still, at the end of the process, show you a message that says to email (or call 510-885-2784) with a confirmation number. This will trigger the University to manually process your Open University application.

At a Glance

With Open University, Cal State East Bay’s doors are wide open. Explore a new field of study or simply use classes as a springboard to a program. Choose from hundreds of courses and benefit from Cal State University excellence without formal admission! Get started today!

Tuition costs: $392/unit for undergraduate level courses and $448/unit for graduate level courses (Tuition fees are subject to change at any time.)


Please let us know if we can answer any questions about the Open University program. Many answers can also be found in our online Support Center.

More in This Program