About CE

General Policies



Cal State East Bay Continuing Education accepts enrollment from all adults (high school graduates, college students, and professionals) and does not discriminate on the basis of race, age, disability, marital status, religion, or sexual preference. The University Catalog lists the complete text of the University's nondiscrimination policies. Continuing Education abides by these same policies.

Included in this section are Continuing Education policies and general information regarding official records and name changes, grading, and credit types. You also may find our registration policies information helpful.

Official Record

Cal State East Bay and the Continuing Education office are governed by Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974 (Buckley Amendment). The full text of the FERPA Act, as amended, is available for inspection. The campus is authorized under this act to release "directory information" concerning students unless the campus has received a prior written objection from the student specifying information not to be released. Questions regarding student prerogatives under this act should be directed to the Office of Academic Services and Programs.

Name Change or Correction

If for some reason, after registration, you need to change or correct your name or SSN in our records, please fill out, sign, and submit a change request form.

Tax Information

Please Note:

The content on this page is for general information only. Students are encouraged to check with current IRS regulations and/or their tax advisor for all applicable tax advantages.

Tax Deductions

Treasury regulations may permit an income tax deduction for certain educational expenses undertaken to:

  1. maintain/improve skills required in one's employment, or
  2. meet requirements of an employer or a law imposed as a condition of retention of employment, job status, or rate of compensation.

Students should refer to current IRS regulations for more information.

Tuition Tax Credits

For eligible students the Lifetime Learning Tax Credit is available at all educational and enrollment levels. The credit is based on the amount of qualified tuition and fees, less grants, and other tax-free educational assistance and the taxpayer's modified adjusted gross income.

Consult IRS regulations, Taxpayer Relief Act HR 2014, IRS Publication 970, or your tax preparer for additional information.


Posting of Grades

Grades are posted to the Web approximately 14 days after the end of each class. Students can reference their grades through MyCSUEB, using their university NetID. Official transcripts are also available at that time. The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) prohibits that grade information be provided over the phone.

Grading Chart

The grading chart below, used in regular University instruction, also applies to grading of courses offered by Continuing Education. For more information on grading policies, visit the University's Grading and Academic Standards page in the University Catalog. It is the student's responsibility to be aware of these policies and procedures.

Grade Definition
A Excellent
A- Excellent
B+ Good
B Good
B- Good
C+ Satisfactory
C Satisfactory
C- Satisfactory
D+ Poor
D Poor
F Failing
CR Credit
NC No Credit

Administrative Grading Symbols

  • RP = Report in Progress
  • I = Incomplete (Authorized)*
  • IC = Incomplete Charged*
  • RD = Report Delayed
  • W = Withdrawal
  • WU = Withdrawal Unauthorized**
  • AU = Audit

*An "I" must normally be made up within one calendar year immediately following the end of the term during which it was assigned. If the incomplete grade is not completed within the approved time period, the "I" will convert to "IC." This will be calculated as an "F" in GPA calculations.

**A "WU" is assigned when you have not withdrawn from a course and also have failed to complete course requirements. The "WU" is counted in your GPA as an "F" grade.

Types of Credit

Academic Credit

Courses conferring academic credit are numbered 800 through 899. Courses in our catalog are upper-division level extension (800-849) and graduate level extension (850-899).

Courses numbered 800-849 are usually applicable toward educational credits at Cal State East Bay, state clear credential, salary increments, and some state supplementary authorizations.

If you plan to receive elective units in a degree or credential program at Cal State East Bay students cannot take courses for Credit/No Credit.

Continuing Education Credit

Many courses in our catalog carry CEUs, a nationally recognized unit of measurement for any of a variety of nonacademic programs which may apply toward re-licensure, promotion, or career advancement.


Noncredit courses (designated with the prefix NCRX) are designed for personal enrichment.

Open University

You can transfer a maximum of 24 Open University semester units to an undergraduate degree program or 9 maximum units towards a graduate degree program, subject to approval by the academic department that runs the program.

Unit Equivalency

Continuing Education courses are measured in semester units of credit convertible to quarter units.

Semester Unit Quarter Units Equivalent
2/3 Semester Unit 1 Quarter Unit
1 1/3 Semester Units 2 Quarter Units
2 Semester Units 3 Quarter Units
2 2/3 Semester Units 4 Quarter Units
3 1/3 Semester Units 5 Quarter Units
4 Semester Units 6 Quarter Units

Policy on Alcohol and Other Drugs

View the University's policy on alcohol and other drugs here.

Executive Orders

View the CSU Systemwide Executive Orders here.

Real-World Choices

Our broad array of programs, certificates, and courses reflect the real world, and will give you the skills to build your career path.

Explore Programs and Courses

Talk to Us

Ready to get started? Have questions about programs, costs, or outcomes? Not sure about the next step?

Get in Touch

Stay Connected

Follow us on social media to stay connected and up-to-date with CSUEB Continuing Education!

Follow Us