Get the Help You Deserve

As a service member or veteran, you or your eligible dependents can take advantage of your GI Bill for educational training provided by Continuing Education at Cal State East Bay. You can look forward to engaging in courses that: 

  • Prepare you for career and mid-career opportunities
  • Are conveniently delivered in multiple formats: face-to-face, online, and hybrid
  • May offer transferable academic units to degree completion programs
  • Do not require University admission


To check if you or your dependents are eligible to receive VA benefits, visit the Department of Veterans Affairs website for the most current information.

How to Apply for Benefits

Once you've decided on a program, complete the VA application online and submit it to the appropriate VA Regional Office. 

  • Visit the Veterans On-Line Application (VONAPP) website and complete the application form.
  • Once you've completed the form, click on the “Submit” button to submit it electronically to VA.
  • Print out the signature page and send it to the VA Regional Office address shown on the confirmation page you will receive following the submission of the application electronically. Be sure to write the VONAPP confirmation number at the bottom of each page since they will need your original signature to begin payments.

If you're on active duty, your Education Services Officer must also sign your application. If you know the program you want to take, you should also submit a copy of the printed form to Dianna Wheaton at Cal State East Bay, Continuing Education Office, 25800 Carlos Bee Blvd, SF 102, Hayward, CA 94542.

Collecting Benefits

After you’ve filed an application and VA has confirmed you are eligible for benefits, you will be responsible for the following:

  • Requesting benefits for each course in which you want to receive funding by contacting CSUEB Continuing Education's VA Certifying Official at or (510) 885-2305.
  • Students (veterans and dependents of veterans) who are eligible to use VA Education Benefits must complete the Veterans Educational Benefits Certification Request (VEBCR) form in MyCSUEB. The form must be completed each semester after enrolling in classes. Please refer to the How To Guide for Certification for more instructions on submitting certification requests through MyCSUEB. The VEBCR form only needs to be completed if you’re enrolled and requesting VA payment.
  • Maintaining satisfactory grades in your courses. VA will not allow payment for an “AU”-Audit grade.
  • After you make any adjustments to your term enrollment, complete a new online Enrollment Verification and notify Dianna Wheaton to make the necessary changes to your VA certification.

Please note that you won't receive payment until VA receives and processes your verification.

If you don't receive your payment or verification form after 30 days of submitting your claim, immediately call 1-888-GIBILL-1 (1-888-442-4551). Whenever you contact VA, have your VA file number (usually your Social Security number) readily available.

In accordance with the Code of Federal Regulations, students who are receiving VA educational benefits are required to conform to the rules and regulations of the training facility and maintain satisfactory conduct and progress.

Summary of Cal State East Bay Continuing Education Office Responsibilities

  • We will verify that the courses you are enrolling in eligible courses each term.
  • We will certify your enrollment with the VA office in a timely and proficient manner.
  • We will provide all documents and information necessary for you to receive your VA educational benefits.


Please refer to the Department of Veterans Affairs WEAMS search tool for the current listing of eligible programs.

Please note: The Cal Vet Fee Waiver program cannot be used for any Continuing Education degree or certificate programs.

If you have any questions regarding the Cal Vet Fee Waiver for non-Continuing Education programs, please contact Cal State East Bay’s Veteran Affairs Coordinator at (510) 885-3669 or

Request More Information

For more information about VA Educational Benefits, contact the appropriate person listed below.

CSUEB Program Contact

Dianna Wheaton
Registrar/VA Certifying Official
(510) 885-2305

Veteran Affairs' Resources

US Department of Veterans' Affairs
Educational Services
P.O. Box 8888
Muskogee, OK 74402
(888) 442-4551

US Department of Veterans' Affairs
Oakland Regional Office
1301 Clay Street, Rm 1300 North
Oakland, CA 94612
(800) 827-1000

California Department of Veterans' Affairs
1227 "O" Street
Sacramento, CA 95814
(800) 952-5626

"GI Bill®"; is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at

Real-World Choices

Our broad array of programs, certificates, and courses reflect the real world, and will give you the skills to build your career path.

Explore Programs and Courses

Talk to Us

Ready to get started? Have questions about programs, costs, or outcomes? Not sure about the next step?

Get in Touch

Stay Connected

Follow us on social media to stay connected and up-to-date with CSUEB Continuing Education!

Follow Us